Monday, May 31, 2010

Why "Common Sense 2.0?"

Prior to the American Revolution, Thomas Paine wrote a pamphlet that played a major role in articulating the reasons for the uprising against the British Empire. I don't claim to be an expert on the document itself, but the title has always intrigued me. As I look at the political landscape today, it seems to me that common sense is exactly what we lack. We have become so polarized that certain code words are thrown around without a lot of thought behind them, and people battle one another from rigid ideological perspectives.

When I was an undergraduate, one of the aspects of college I appreciated was the challenge to think for myself and to think things through rather than holding onto a particular point of view. I want to pursue that kind of approach in this blog, and I suspect I will make people on the right and the left angry with me, because I will probably step on a lot of ideological toes. Sorry about that, but it's unavoidable. I hope that if people read enough of my blogs, they will see that, overall, the perspective is balanced.

Also, I will reserve the right to change my mind. If someone posts a reasonable comment in response to something I've said, and I think I should correct my position, I will. That, to me, is just common sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fateful Decisions

In football, as in war, it is sometimes one decision, by one person, that determines the outcome of a crucial battle. That was certainly the...